SOLID INSULATED BUS BAR TYPE TPL
The solid insulated bus bar type TPL is ideal for medium & low voltage safety critical projects. TPL is both electrically and geometrically made to measure according to project specifications. Up to 36 kV & 6 500 A per single phase is possible. For shorter generator connections, where space is very limited, it is possible to provide up to 36 kV & 12 000 A. Here we use 2 X bus bars per phase.
|Nominal voltage||up to 1,2 kV||up to 2 kV|
|Nominal current||up to 12 kА||up to 14 kА|
|Nominal voltage||up to 36 kV||up to 60 kV|
|Nominal current||up to 12 kА||up to 14 kА|
FEATURES of TPL
- Suitable for outdoor & indoor applications,
- Ambient temperature from -60° to +55 °C,
- Very high degree of protection up to IP68, suitable for marine & wet environments,
- High resistance to ultraviolet, chemicals and aggressive environments,
- Touch safe,
- Maintenance free,
- High degree of fire withstand,
- Small overall dimensions and bending radius,
- No phase to phase short circuit possible,
- Partial discharge free according to IEC 60137,
- Modular distribution kit, simply bolted together with no special tools required,
- Natural (air) cooling,
- Very low power losses (I²R),
- Lowest lifecycle costs for end clients.
In addition to in house routine testing our products have undergone rigorous type testing as follows:
- Heat tests;
- Tests for stability under continuous currents of a short-circuit;
- Tests for resistance to mechanical factors of the environment;
- Tests for mechanical stability;
- Water-proof and dust-proof tests;
- Tests for heat resistance and frost resistance during the operation, transportation and storage;
- Tests of the electric strength of insulation;
- Test for the intensity of partial discharges;
- Seismic stability tests and other tests.
The bus bar element’s construction
The basic conductor tube (1) can be aluminium or copper & either solid or hollow, depending upon amperage. Then the conductor tube is then wrapped with crepe paper and layers of semi conducting paper (2) in order to provide the capacitive grading layers. During manufacture under vacuum, epoxy is pulled through to ensure a void free partial discharge free composite dielectric (3). The embedded earth layer ensures that the system is touch safe whilst operational (4). To make connections easy between Bus bar — bus bar and bus bar — other equipment, there is a DIN flat terminals (5) at the ends of each element.
For low voltage solid insulated bus bar type TPL solutions up to 1.2 kV there are no capacitive grading layers & no earth layer required.
MANUFACTURE OF SOLID INSULATED BUS BAR TYPE TPL VOID FREE, PARTIAL DISCHARGE FREE ACCORDING TO IEC 60137
TPL can be manufactured in lengths up to 10 meters long. The product is cured in an autoclave under vacuum & heat. The dimensions of the autoclave are 10 m × 2 m × 2 m. Almost any geometric shape is possible, below are some examples.
Pre-manufacture all raw materials quality checked
- Measurement of specific resistance conductors & capacitors,
- Verification of purity & tearing strength test for insulating paper,
- Viscosity, viscosity rise with temperature as parameter, gelation time impregnating resin.
Curing in Autoclave is computer monitored
- Drying process,
- Impregnation process,
- Insulation curing and hardening,
- Controlled cooling.
Electrical Testing of Bus bars & connecting sleeves
- After manufacture each insulated component is high voltage tested in our test laboratory,
- Power frequency test,
- Partial discharge test according to IEC 60137,
- Capacitance measurement,
- Tan delta measurement.
Internal Quality Checks
- Complete project design,
- Marking, preservation, packaging and completeness checks.
TPL CONNECTING SLEEVES
Bus bars have capacitive control therefore there is a red grading length on the ends. Separate bus bar elements are connected to each other by use of bus expansion compensators which are flexible copper laminate connections. These allow for thermal expansion & contraction. They also allow build tolerances of up to ±50 mm per connection.
The connection is then enclosed by a fully capacitively graded insulated connecting sleeve which has pressure-tight flanges on the both sides. In order to balance the potential between the current carrying conductor and the internal surface of the connecting sleeve a metal ring with contact spring are provided.
The bus bar elements connection:
1. Busbar element
2. Connecting sleeve
3. Contact spring
5. Flat washer
6. Sealing ring
7. Half flange
8. The connecting sleeve’s earthing
SOLID INSULATED BUS BAR TYPE TPL FIXING SYSTEM
We use a special computer program to dimension the fixing system, taking into account short circuit current, natural frequency & weight.
The distance between the mounting places of the bus bar to the walls, ceiling or floor is calculated, prohibited distances are also calculated.
Fixation of the bus bar to the walls, ceiling or floors is carried out by means of polyamide clamps, aluminum x-profiles, fixing angles and hardware.
Mounting to a wall allows both horizontal and vertical installation of the bus bar. We can also mount to the floor where the project requires this.
TPL FIREPROOF WALL PENETRATIONS
TPL is compatible with any fireproof penetration which our clients require for their projects. In the example below, the penetrations are filled with a special non combustible material and then closed using metal plates.
EARTHING OF THE BUS BAR
The bus bar equipment is individually earthed as follows, the bus bars, the connecting sleeves and the fixing system. Then this can be connected to the main earth as shown in example photograph below.
CONNECTION TO EQUIPMENT
According to individual project specifications and requirements, we select the optimal bus bar path to ensure the safest shortest route.
Connections to other equipment can be from the top, the side, or underneath.
Generator & transformer connections are enabled using high flexible copper connections.
Protection boxes/special flanges can be supplied where necessary.
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES
Depending on the specification requirements, TPL bus bar can be completed with an additional electric equipment:
- Current transformers,
- Voltage transformers,
- Disconnecting switches,
- Tap off boxes for the cable connection,
- Overvoltage limiters,
- Automatic circuit breakers,
- Tap-offs for other rated currents.
THE STANDARD SET OF EQUIPMENT
TPL modular distribution kit is delivered on site complete with all components/documents required for installation.
The delivery package is created according to design documentation and rigorously checked prior to dispatch. The list below shows the main elements.
- Bus bar elements;
- Сonnecting sleeves;
- Flexible or high flexible bus expansion compensators for connection of elements to each other and connections of the bus bar to equipment;
- Fixation system, including aluminum x-profiles and a hardware;
- Еarthing cable;
- Nuts & bolts;
- Warranty card;
- Test reports.
- Packing list;
- The set of assembly factory drawings;
- Installation instruction manual;
- Operation manual;
- Test reports for each element;
- Technical passport.
According to the design documentation bus bars & components are packed and fastened into wooden boxes.
The bus bar elements are fastened on pallets unwrapped, however, the ends with capacitive grading are protectively wrapped.
Separately delivered small size assembly units, details and fasteners are packed into wooden boxes according to the design documentation.